The beginners or refresher course.
1) Colour Theory. A study of how colours work. Games with spinning tops and after images, mixing paint, exploring your palette, a pointillist study in watercolour.
2) The Study of space in a drawing. How to approach still life. Composition. Positive and Negative shapes as an exercise using oil/chalk pastels.
3) Light & Shade Drawing. Measurement. How to create solid forms. Use of the pencil. Cross-Hatching techniques. How to draw large and use your mistakes.
4) Light & Shade through colour. Study and exaggeration of reflected light. Large drawing using oil pastels on sugar paper.
5) How to set up a still life group.
6) Pen & Ink drawing. Ink & brush. Study of various methods and techniques.
7) Studies for egg-tempera painting on paper. Mixing and using egg-tempera.
8) An egg-tempera painting on a gesso board.
9) Tonal recession and atmospheric perspective in landscape
10) Linear perspective. Drawing to a vanishing point.
Lessons 11-20 deal with surrealism, oil painting, anatomy, the figure & portrait.
Lessons 20-30 deal with watercolour painting from stretching paper to useful techniques. These lessons lead into abstraction. There are specific notes on landscape painting, printmaking & epic pencil drawings.